Strawberries are very popular, especially during the summer. They are low in sugar and high in vitamin C and potassium. They play a role in reducing your blood pressure and increasing your HDL (good cholesterol). Because it is relatively low in sugar, the strawberry can be enjoyed in both savory and a sweet recipe.
Strawberry Tomato Bruschetta
- a handful of strawberries (+/- 1/2 cup chopped)
- 1 medium tomato
- about 2 tablespoons of chopped fresh basil or 1 tablespoon of Italian seasoning
- 1-2 tablespoons of olive oil
- Sal & pepper to taste
- Cut the strawberries and tomato to about the same size (1/4” pieces).
- Mix all the ingredients and add salt and pepper to taste. Serve on a toasted piece of bread.
*For an additional layer of flavor, serve it with a slice of cheese on the toasted bread. Keep salt level of the kind of cheese you will be using in mind when seasoning your bruschetta.
Another way to enjoy strawberries in a savory recipe is in a Strawberry Barbecue Sauce.
- 2/3 cup strawberries
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1/4 cup red wine or apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbs Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard powder or yellow mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 4 teaspoon soy sauce
- Black pepper and sugar to taste
- Add all the ingredients to a non-reactive pot and bring to a boil.
- Cook the strawberry barbecue sauce, stirring regularly until it reaches your desired thickness (2-5 minutes).
*Let the sauce cool completely before storing it in a jar, in the fridge